The Best Online Screenwriting Colleges
This is a ranking of the best online Screenwriting colleges in the US. This ranking was made to help online students make the most informed decisions concerning online Screenwriting colleges and degree options. All rankings at Successful Student are designed for students.
Screenwriters combine storytelling, art, and music in what may be the perfect fit for those with such creative talents. We have ranked the best online screenwriting colleges in the US. This ranking was made for online students.
Whether it’s for the big screen, television, or even video games, screenwriting is a varied and unique field which tends to have flexible hours, a median wage of over $61,000 per year, and is expected to have a two percent job growth according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Many within the field are self-employed or work freelance developing content for advertisements, movies, music videos, and many other types of media. Other tasks of screenwriters include developing scripts for shows, promoting or selling their stories, and editing or doctoring scripts to fit the needs of show directors. Factual research may be required depending on the script.
Screenwriters can work at all levels from the local theater with live actors to Hollywood and the big screen shows.
The key skill for screenwriters is to be able to combine dialogue with visual features to create an engaging and attractive performance for the target audience. Without a screenwriter, there is no show.
A minimum of a college degree is often required for full time positions and excellent writing skills are the key to a lasting career.
Online Screenwriting Degree Spotlight:
Best Online Screenwriting CollegesOnline Bachelor of Arts in Digital Film: Screenwriting program. This comprehensive undergraduate degree requires 120 credits broken down into:
- 34-40 general education credits
- 60 major credits
- 20-26 open elective credits
- Acting, financing, budgeting and distribution
- Audio production and design
- Advanced screenwriting
- Development and production of television commercials
- Visual storytelling and the creative team
2. Regent University (Virginia Beach, VA)Regent University operates the School of Communication and the Arts which offers the Master of Fine Arts in Film – Television: Script Writing. This is both an on-campus and online terminal degree program, consisting of 44 total credit hours. Course topics include:
- Aesthetics for the Contemporary Communicator
- Redemptive Film
- Story Structure for Stage and Screen
3. Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA)The mission of the School of Motion Picture and Television at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco is to foster “creativity and independence in film-making as an art” in all of its students. All of the degrees offered, from the Associate of Arts through the Master of Fine Arts, are taught by industry experienced professors who work in conjunction with over 60 of the top online entertainment specialists to bring a quality curriculum to all students. The various fields of study offered include:
- Producing and Production Design
4. University of California Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)The School of Theater, Film, and Television offers a Professional Program in Screenwriting Online. This graduate level certificate track occurs over three academic quarters. Students will participate in 30 video lectures and weekly screenwriting workshops. The video lectures expose students to the theories and techniques of analyzing films and other scripts, providing ample exercises and sample writings. The screenwriting workshops allow students to submit their own work for reviews and critiques by professors and peers. With a limited class size of eight students, the workshops allow for a more personalized educational experience and bonding with fellow classmates. At the end of the three quarters students will be awarded a certificate of completion.
5. New School (New York, NY)For the Certificate in Screenwriting from the School of Media Studies at the New School in New York City there is no formal admissions process. Students must meet basic eligibility requirements with most being accepted to the program. There are six total courses, with four required sequential classes:
- Script Analysis
- Screenwriting 1: The First Act
- Screenwriting 2: Writing the Screen Play
- Screenwriting 3: Rewrite and Polish
- Sitcom Writing 1: Writing the ‘Spec’ Script
- Sitcom Writing 2: Writing the Original Plot
- Episodic and Procedurals: Crafting the Original One-Hour Pilot
- Screenwriting for the Web
6. Missouri State University (Springfield, MO)Missouri State University offers a Graduate Certificate in Screenwriting for Television and Film. To apply for the program, students must submit a writing sample of five to ten script pages, or five to ten pages of prose. Once granted admission, students get a 15 hour graduate type of experience, which prepares the students’ script portfolio for working submissions on a professional level. Students who wish to further their education may pair the Graduate Certificate training nicely with terminal degrees such as the Master of Professional Studies: Producing and Screenwriting, Master of Arts in Communication, Master of Arts in Writing, or the Master of Arts in English.
7. New York Film Academy (New York City, NY)The passion and mission of the New York Film Academy is to prepare its students to succeed in all areas of the visual and performing arts. As such, screenwriting is at the heart of the curriculum. New York Film Academy offers online workshops in Screenwriting. Online screenwriting workshops include:
- Story and Structure workshop
- Television Spec workshop
- Television Pilot workshop
- Writing for Comic Books